Random Thoughts: Da Vinci, Border and Politicians

The Da Vinci Code (movie)

I saw the The Da Vinci Code this past weekend. As always, I have no idea what the critics were talking about. It was actually a decent movie; a more tamed version of Raiders of the Lost Ark. There were some protesters out there. I guess I can understand why they would feel threatened by it. But it really isn’t hard for me to believe that some powerful folks formed a secret group to hide parts of the bible and make women subservient to men. But I digress.

I’m really getting to the point that movie critics are out of their damn minds. The reviews on “A History of Violence” led me to believe that I was in for a classic. It was garbage. The reviews on “The Da Vinci Code” were average and though it wasn’t the greatest movie, it wasn’t bad at all.

A thought on the Border

I haven't changed my mind on this issue. There are too many hypocrites for me to really care one way or the other. The fact is that the folks that pay for elections want cheap labor and could care less about border security. These same folks love for the free market to set prices but don't want the free market to set wages. And the kicker is that companies are paying less for labor but haven't passed any savings on to the American consumer. When was the last time you saw a company lower its prices after shipping American jobs to China?

Then you have the folks that hate workers rights and people fighting for living wages and love the goods made by cheap labor but want to ship all of them back home.

Then you have the illegal talking how they do jobs Americans won't do. Bull - Americans won't do jobs at below market wages. They're taking skilled construction jobs as well. Look who's building homes. It isn't the $30 hour union contractor - it's the $15 hour illegal.

Trust me, these guys are going to talk tough until the election then pull the rug from under our feet. Bush is going to grant amnesty, the National Guard ploy is a photo opt waiting to happen. And ten years from now we'll have this conversation all over again.

Political Cynic

I believe most politicians are lying stacks of hot garbage. They are piles funky excrements littering the path we call this walk of life. They make me sicker than eating spoiled boiled bologna mixed with rotten eggplants and served with a side of human feculence.

But it does not serve me well to want to dump them in an outhouse rather than give them my vote so I would like someone to explain to me why I should care about any of the bastards in Washington DC.

Talk Back
1. What is the name of the politician do you trust the most? Why
2. If you could change the law, would you change it to allow Bush to serve two more terms? What about Clinton?
3. Is there a politician you’d trust to be king?
4. On a scale of one to ten, how much do you trust: Bush, your Congress person, politicians in general?

 

12 Responses to Random Thoughts: Da Vinci, Border and Politicians

  1. James Manning Says:
    Did any of you see the Da Vinci Code? What did you think of it.
  2. Unknown Says:
    I havent seen the Code yet but you are right on about A History of Violence. The Critics raved about that movie and I sat in the theater confused and unsure if I paid for the right movie because what I saw was just silly. I dont have much faith in any of the representatives but there is one guy that gives me hope in this experiment we call democracy and he is John Mccain. Im not republican but I would vote for him before Hilary or any other Democratic nominee that I can think of right now.
  3. P Says:
    Barack Obama. King of the World.

    Of course, there is always that opening that someone will piss you off in the position of higher authority, but I trust him. (at least in respect to the lesser of the evils)

    As for the Da Vinci code. I have not seen it. I am a Christian, but that's not the reason why I didn't see it. I just got kind of turned off by the review(s), and I can't keep my eyes off of Tom Hanks' pompadour. I read the book several years ago, and that didn't waver my faith in any way.

    The bible was written by men, and that is correct, and there are some translations that are questionable, one of them being the letter J. (the actual name of Jesus is IESOUS, because there were no J’s to translate initially in the Greek (or Hebrew, I can’t remember) custom, he is also called Yeshua and Yehoshua, Yahweh, Elohim, etc.

    But, I believe that the Bible was written with the divine illumination of the Holy Spirit, and that the SPIRIT and the letter of the law is intact. We know that the role of women in the bible are powerful, just as there are some male leaders; Men and women are equal in the eyes of the Lord, they just have different roles.

    I always tell people that the Holy Bible is no different in them trusting any of their religious, or pagan documents that are thousands of years old what if someone told those who believe in THOSE documents that they were flawed? How would they defend that?

    Of course some things have been lost in the translation. Of course people have used the bible for wicked things and evil things. We can say the same thing in the name of Allah. We can say the same thing with the Salem Witch Trials, and Communism and the McCarthy Era. . .

    You get the point, I always go on and on on Jaimie's site, too, my bad.
  4. Anonymous Says:
    I read the book Christmas 2003. I started it on the plane to pass the time and finished it after arriving in Mississippi.

    I thought the action was fast-paced and I wanted to get to the end and find out what happened but it was anti-climatic at best.

    I'm not a movie buff so the only way that I will see it will be if I happen to run across the dvd at a reasonable price.

    1. Russ Feingold. He came out in support of gay marriage even after he announced plans to form an exploratory committee for President in 2008. Talk about balls he has a brass set.
    He stood alone on censuring Bush over the illegal NSA program while the rest of the cowardly Dems hid with their tails between their legs.

    2. No I'm tired of Bush but I'm especially sick of both Clintons. Clinton did more damage to the Democratic party with his triangulation than any Republican could have.
    Nowadays everytime you see Billy boy he's giving old man Bush the tongue. It's like they're freaking Siamese twins.

    And hell no to Bush. Jesus Christ if we can survive the next two and half years without Bush blowing up half the world then if I never hear the name Bush it will be too soon. Let him and Laura and Condi retire to his pig farm in Crawford and let them get their freak on for all eternity.

    3. I would like to say Feingold but I keep remembering the phrase: power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So I would say no to having a king or any type of monarchy.
    4.a) Bush -100
    b) n/a
    c) +3
  5. Kip Says:
    To Jay,

    That's right Jay as you said look who are building homes and there going to be other jobs endangered also due to cheap labor working for cheap wages. It almost like you have to become your own boss by finding what you can do and make money at it for your self.


    By Chance
  6. Bushwack Says:
    1. What is the name of the politician do you trust the most? Why
    2. If you could change the law, would you change it to allow Bush to serve two more terms? What about Clinton?
    3. Is there a politician you’d trust to be king?
    4. On a scale of one to ten, how much do you trust: Bush, your Congress person, politicians in general?


    James,
    #1. I trust no one that is a politician. I guess if I had to pick one it would be Tancredo. His views are right of right but on immigration he is RIGHT ON.
    #2 Bush for another 4 years? Last year I would have said hell yes.
    Now I say hell no. Immigration reform my butt call it pandering to Fox.
    #3. NOPE. We had this discussion on my site, We need checks and balances a King wields to much power. and power corrupts.
    #4.I used to have a lot of faith that our Government body was trying to do whats right.
    Now I am becomming more aware of the real world of politics. These guys need a wake up call and to be shown who pays their salary. WE THE PEOPLE seems to have been replaced by WE WILL SCREW THE PEOPLE.
  7. nosthegametoo Says:
    Now that I think of it, the movie did remind of Indian Jones.

    You're always insightful. I should come by more often.
  8. Anonymous Says:
    A History of Violence is a David Cronenberg film. Cronenberg has a huge following in the film as art crowd and movie reviewers are normally in that category. Unfortunately they also seem to contain a lot of members of the "head up your own ass" crowd as well.

    They also like to gang up on movies sometimes as well (see Waterworld and The Postman) for no reason other than to show Hollywood that they can.

    My feelings on politicians and government are well-documented, but for the unititiated:

    They are all liars thieves and murderers and if it weren't for the fact that government is a necessary evil I wouldn't shed a tear if every one of them were tarred, feathered, burned, gutted, encased in metal and hung by their necks from the highest point of the Gateway Arch giving us the world's first bullshit-powered windchime.
  9. Anonymous Says:
    1. What is the name of the politician do you trust the most?
    My Dad. He did one term as deputy mayor of our town.


    2a. If you could change the law, would you change it to allow Bush to serve two more terms?
    No. If I could I would change the laws of physics so that I could go back in time and take away the 2 terms that Bush got already. That's just me.

    2b. What about Clinton?
    Not for him either. Two terms (8 years) is long enough for a President to accomplish many things, for the country, if he stays focused and prioritizes his agenda. Also any damage done should could be corrected in reasonable amount of time as well.


    3. Is there a politician you’d trust to be king?
    I trust NO ONE to be King.

    4. On a scale of one to ten, how much do you trust:
    Bush: 1
    your Congress person: 3
    politicians in general: 5
    (my dad of course gets a 10 :-) )
  10. Mr. Grey Ghost Says:
    1. What is the name of the politician do you trust the most? Why?

    Harold Ford because he's a conservative and because he always looks at both sides of the issue.

    2. If you could change the law, would you change it to allow Bush to serve two more terms? What about Clinton?

    Definitely and I'm not saying just because I like Bush. I just never supported term limits esp. for Presidents.

    3. Is there a politician you’d trust to be king?

    No.

    4. On a scale of one to ten, how much do you trust: Bush, your Congress person, politicians in general?

    9 for Bush, 4 for Hillary (I live in NYC) and 5 for politicans in general.
  11. timmer Says:
    --A History of Violence did suck.

    --I trust McCain, Obama, and Vern Ehlers (my congressman) about as much as I can trust a politician...which is a five on the scale (whichever way the scale goes).

    --I would hate to see any president in office for more than 8 years: change is the lifeblood of a democracy (but I have a feeling I will be calling Bush 'Supreme Commandante' until the next revolution).

    --No politician could be King. Kings were kings because they were groomed to be so. Any politician would simply get too power-crazed. Presidents often become power-crazed because we treat them like kings (with all the pomp, balls, and awe that kings used to recieve, how could any president not think like a king).

    Good post.
  12. timmer Says:
    --A History of Violence did suck.

    --I trust McCain, Obama, and Vern Ehlers (my congressman) about as much as I can trust a politician...which is a five on the scale (whichever way the scale goes).

    --I would hate to see any president in office for more than 8 years: change is the lifeblood of a democracy (but I have a feeling I will be calling Bush 'Supreme Commandante' until the next revolution).

    --No politician could be King. Kings were kings because they were groomed to be so. Any politician would simply get too power-crazed. Presidents often become power-crazed because we treat them like kings (with all the pomp, balls, and awe that kings used to recieve, how could any president not think like a king).

    Good post.