Friday's Top Ten: Songs From Musicals

We were watching the Wizard of Oz this week and I had forgetten how much I really love that movie. In fact, I love musicals in general. I'm not sure when that happened but I think it started in 7th grade when the local high school performed Hello Dolly. I went to see it and I believe I've been hooked ever since.

So today, I present you some of my favorite songs from a musical. Happy Friday.

1. Tomorrow (Annie)





– It wasn’t until I moved to Los Angeles that I saw this musical. All the songs are good but this quickly moved up to number one.

2. Hello Dolly (Hello Dolly)




– I first saw this musical when I was in 7th grade and I’ve loved it ever since. I’ll have to rent it again.

3. Gee, Officer Krupke (Westside Story)




– It’s a silly and fun song but it is the song that most remember from the musical.

4. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)




– This is a childhood favorite. I use to sing it all of the time. One of the best musicals of all time in my opinion.
5. Heat Miser –


The Year Without a Santa Claus – Yeah, I know it’s a cartoon, but I can’t front on the Heat Miser.

6. You’re the One that I Want (Grease)


– I love this movie. We actually had a skateboard club called the T-Birds. It’s sounds so nerdy now.

7. Somewhere Over the Rainbow (The Wizard of Oz)


– Probably the greatest musical of all time. We were watching it the other night and the movie still cracks me up.

8. You’re Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile (Annie)



– This song was sung when Daddy Warbucks went to the radio station to announce a $50,000 reward for Annie’s parents to step forward.

9. Beauty School Dropout (Grease)



– Frankie actually dissed Frenchie in this song. “Well they couldn't teach you anything, you think you're such a looker But no customer would go to you, unless she was a hooker” Classic!!!

10. Hard Knock Life (Annie)


– Boy, Annie gets three songs on the list. Even Jay-Z knew this could make a classic hook.


There are some others that are worthy. The Emperor Jones with Paul Robeson and the Rocky Horror Picture Show have some classics in them.

 

15 Responses to Friday's Top Ten: Songs From Musicals

  1. Dionne Says:
    You crack me up. Its interesting since you and I are about the same age I notice you always bring up fun things that were popular when we were kids. Very fun!!

    I love most of these too. Although I find Beauty School Dropout annoying but my husband loves it :-)!!
  2. That Girl Tam Says:
    WHAT??? You didn't list anything from the Sound of Music?? That's like the MOST classic of ALL classics!! I liked the "So long, Farewell" song from that movie..."Shall We Dance" from the King & I and ALL over Annie's music. I even love the entire soundtrack to Eddie and the Cruisers (the first AND second movie!)
  3. That Girl Tam Says:
    oops...I meant to say all OF Annie's music!
  4. P Says:
    I'm trying to figure out which ones I enjoy the most on your list.

    I'm going to have to go with:

    You're the one that I want, Somewhere over the Rainbow, and It's a Hard Knock Life.

    On the Ghetto (ahem, Urban), side, I would like to add:

    "You Can't Win, Chile", "Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad News" and Ease On Down the Road" from the Wiz,

    On the "Had to see it as a child:" All songs from Bugsy Malone.

    I'm with the Phoenix on Sound of Music and "the King and I". I used to try to dance like the folks from the King and I when I was a child. (Prolly because I had a crush on Yul Brynner)

    I want to add:

    "Singing in the Rain" - I knew the song before I saw the movie. . .

    AND

    "That's Love" from Carmen Jones. In my humble opinion, There's only one song that people remember from that movie, and that's the one!
  5. James Manning Says:
    I could never take the "Sound of Music" Yuck. I was trying to think of the song from Carmen Jones but it escaped me.

    Yeah, "Ease on Down the Road" would make the list if I did it again.

    Again, "The Sound of Music" sucks!!!
  6. Anonymous Says:
    I'm just mad that there is no Little Shop of Horrors stuff there. Skid Row and Feed Me are two of my all time favorites.
  7. James Manning Says:
    I like that song too, Rashid.
  8. P Says:
    @ James:

    Sound of music prolly chick flick type of stuff.

    As for the Carmen Jones song, you can hear it on Amazon.
  9. That Girl Tam Says:
    The Sound of Music RULES!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA
  10. timmer Says:
    Wow...you're taste in music is truly offensive.
  11. timmer Says:
    What about My Fair Lady..."All I wont is a room somewhea"

    or Moulin Rouge...great adaptations

    or An American Tale..."somewhere out there" still makes me teary eyed

    or all of those Elvis movies...hahaha

    oh yeah...sound of music did suck
  12. James Manning Says:
    I love that "somewhere out there, someone's saying a prayer"

    I like the song from the Lion King by Elton John too.

    And can you feel the love tonight
    It is where we are
    It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
    That we got this far
  13. MEP Says:
    Oh gosh - you listed some good songs, but I have to list my picks. This is really going to show off my geekiness because I LOVE musicals. In no particular order:

    "Skid Row" and "Suddenly Seymore" - Little Shop of Horrors
    "Big Spender" and "Rhythm of Life" - Sweet Charity
    "Time Warp" - Rocky Horror Picture Show
    "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and "If I only had a Brain" - Wizard of Oz
    "Tomorrow," "Hard Knock Life," "Maybe" and "Easy Street" - Annie
    "Any Dream will Do" and "Close Every Door" - Joseph and the Technicolor dreamcoat
    "La Vie Boheme," "Take me or Leave Me," "Light my Candle," etc. - RENT
    "On my Own," and "I Dreamed a Dream," "Who am I," and "Bring Him Home" - Les Miserables
    "Worlds Apart" - Big River
    "Summer Nights" and "You're the one that I want" - Grease
    "Cell Block Tango" and lots of others - Chicago
    "Come What May" - Moulin Rouge
    "Buenos Ares," "Another Suitcase in another Hall" and "High Flying Adored" - Evita
    "All I ask of You" - Phantom of the Opera


    I think that's it. :)
  14. Anonymous Says:
    Rocky... ah memories. most theaters won't let you throw rice or toilet paper or bring in squirt guns or anything these days. And nobody seems to know any callbacks here in Rhode Island. Sad, really.

    Once, I sang "Sweet Transvestite" at a redneck karaoke bar and lived to tell the tale. Hip shaking and everything.

    I have a really hard time watching Grease, I don't know why. I always liked "Trouble" from The Music Man, and "The Press Conference Rag" aka "We Both Reached for the Gun" from Chicago among others.
  15. Anonymous Says:
    Oh, and Little Shop of Horrors "I'm a Dentist", of course.