We were watching the Wizard of Oz this week and I had forgetten how much I really love that movie. In fact, I love musicals in general. I'm not sure when that happened but I think it started in 7th grade when the local high school performed Hello Dolly. I went to see it and I believe I've been hooked ever since.
So today, I present you some of my favorite songs from a musical. Happy Friday.
1. Tomorrow (Annie)
– It wasn’t until I moved to Los Angeles that I saw this musical. All the songs are good but this quickly moved up to number one.
2. Hello Dolly (Hello Dolly)
– I first saw this musical when I was in 7th grade and I’ve loved it ever since. I’ll have to rent it again.
3. Gee, Officer Krupke (Westside Story)
– It’s a silly and fun song but it is the song that most remember from the musical.
4. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
– This is a childhood favorite. I use to sing it all of the time. One of the best musicals of all time in my opinion.
5. Heat Miser –
6. You’re the One that I Want (Grease)
– I love this movie. We actually had a skateboard club called the T-Birds. It’s sounds so nerdy now.
7. Somewhere Over the Rainbow (The Wizard of Oz)
– Probably the greatest musical of all time. We were watching it the other night and the movie still cracks me up.
8. You’re Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile (Annie)
– This song was sung when Daddy Warbucks went to the radio station to announce a $50,000 reward for Annie’s parents to step forward.
9. Beauty School Dropout (Grease)
– Frankie actually dissed Frenchie in this song. “Well they couldn't teach you anything, you think you're such a looker But no customer would go to you, unless she was a hooker” Classic!!!
10. Hard Knock Life (Annie)
– Boy, Annie gets three songs on the list. Even Jay-Z knew this could make a classic hook.
There are some others that are worthy. The Emperor Jones with Paul Robeson and the Rocky Horror Picture Show have some classics in them.