Yes We Did



At the moment, it is hard for me to express what I am feeling. In 76 days the work will begin, but right now, the reality that a new era has begun in America is beginning to set in.

I was in Grant Park last night and it was a beautiful moment. I was surrounded by people from all walks of life. An older white couple sat on the grass behind me; an African American woman sat with her daughter on her lap; another young white woman danced with her daughter. Young white men yelled out Obama along side of young Middle Eastern women. It was a picture of America as she is, as we believe her to be. Songs normally reserved for soccer matches were sung by a group of Italian and Greek men and then others joined, interrupted only by calls of "Yes We Can".

We will get around to discussing the nitty-gritty of the campaign. But for right now, I'm just going to to remember the stories that my grandmother told me of marching with Martin Luther King Jr., and how one day I will tell my children and grand children of the time I campaigned for the first Black President of the United States.




 

7 Responses to Yes We Did

  1. Bullfrog Says:
    Yesterday was a huge day in alot of respects. Enjoy, my friend!
  2. James Manning Says:
    BF,

    Thanks. I think this is a day that everyone can embrace. I'm hoping that Obama will usher in a new way of discussing politics. People like Rush, Sean and Michael Savage will always be around, but I think people are ready for a new way.
  3. Patrick M Says:
    I'll add some congrats. It certainly was a moment.

    We'll get to the real fun later. :)
  4. Dave Miller Says:
    Amen.
  5. Shaw Kenawe Says:
    I'm so proud of America.
  6. Deb Sistrunk Nelson Says:
    Very nicely done, James.
  7. Dionne Says:
    One thing I will grant Obama is that he ran a much better grassroots campaign. I knew McCain was in trouble on the ground quite a while ago because of the huge difference in how his campaign was being run in comparison to Bush.