A Night At The Academy Awards

I watched the Oscars and it was rather interesting. I was rooting for Phillip Seymour Hoffman for his role in Copote. Out of all the movies I saw this year, that was the most impressive one. Although, after seeing Walk the Line this past weekend, I wouldn’t have been made had Joaquin Rivers won the Oscar.

For Best Actress, I was going with Reese Witherspoon. I don’t know much about June Carter, but I do know that she gave a brilliant performance. Jaimie and I have made it a point to watch all of the movies that were nominated in the major categories. So we have a lot of movie watching to do over the next year. I’m actually looking forward to seeing Good Night and Good Luck. It looks really interesting.

As for the show itself, it was good. Although, last night was probably the first time since I was a kid that I actually sat through an entire broadcast. Usually, I just read about it in the papers the next day and then I’m done with it. John Stewart was good and I especially like the campaign skits. His reaction to Three Six Mafia winning an Oscar was very funny. I was a little surprised myself. I’ve decided that I won’t even rant about “Hard Out Here for a Pimp” winning an Oscar and “Fight the Power” didn’t. I’ll just let it be known that the irony is not lost on me.

As for best movie, I really thought Copote. was a better movie than Crash. Crash was good with some really good acting, but the ending was rather fishy and a the stories a little too simplistic for me to believe that it was the best movie of 2005.

And of course there is the politics. Which there wasn’t much to last night’s program. I think it really was more about the art. Of course, Conservatives, being the bitter people that they are, will suggest that there was propaganda in the show… blah blah blah. Those folks really need to take a chill pill.

The fact is, box office numbers don’t equate to quality. War of the Worlds did good at the box office and it sucked. Hell, Fantastic Four did better numbers than Copote. I challenge anyone to rate Fantastic Four as a better movie than Copote. J Lo sells more records than Indie Arie. So, the whims of pop culture certainly do not determine how one judges art.

I’m still not over that Three Six Mafia… I need a record deal.

Discussion Starters:

1. What was the best movie you saw last year?
2. Which movie do you think deserved the Oscar for Best Picture?
3. No one mentioned Bush last night – will Conservatives still be angry?
4. Why are Conservatives so bitter?

 

16 Responses to A Night At The Academy Awards

  1. Rell Says:
    I think the two best movies I saw last year were "Batman Begins" and "Crash." Crash was the only of the films nominated for Best Picture that I saw.

    I think Crash and Brokeback deserved it (though I haven't seen it) but I'm glad crash won.

    I'm glad for the most part that politics stayed out of the telecast last night. I really hate actors and they're smug "we know better then you do what's good for you" attitude towards everything.

    I don't mind liberals (I'm a moderate) but some people in hollywood just take it too far.
  2. Dave Miller Says:
    Since I am traveling alot, I do not get a chance to see all of the movies. I will say this, I was mesmerized by "Good Night and Good Luck." I see it as part of the George Clooney political trilogy, along with "Three Kings" and "Syrianna." It is certainly worth seeing.

    As for Three Six, it was an incredible moment. Didn't everyone believe the Academy was going to pick Dolly Parton? For them to finally go against the grain shows that maybe they are moving, albeit slowly, into this century. I am sure some of the front row folks were scared to death when those guys stormed the stage after winning. I think I saw Jack grabbing his heart! But Jamie Foxx loved it.

    And actually there was plenty of politics, just very subtle. The line about pulling down the Oscar statue went almost unnoticed as did a few other gems from Stewart.
  3. Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden Says:
    03 06 06

    I didn't watch the awards, but I do like 3-6 Mafia and Project Pat though! Ha! I guess Fantastic Four was the best movie I saw last year, although it wasn't as impressive as I expected it to be...

    Funny how you ask about why cons are bitter. Usually, when I go to liberal and leftist blogs, there is far more profanity than what I see on con blogs (in general). In fact this phenomena has been logged and posted about in the blogosphere. One attorney thinks it is due to a power differential between cons and libs, making libs more anger prone.

    Interesting perspectives;)
  4. Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden Says:
    03 06 06

    Although Dolly Parton's newest song isd quite touching too!
  5. James Manning Says:
    The bitter comment was because I read how many on the right hated Hollywood. I'm not sure where they get their entertainment from...
  6. Unknown Says:
    I haven't seen Capote or Good Night and Good Luck, but if I had to choose between Brokeback Mountain or Crash I'd go with Brokeback, though I wasn't near as impressed with it as most seem to be. Syriana was the best movie I saw last year (but I need to see it again, it's that kind of movie). And I still need to see A History of Violence.

    As for the "bitterness" thing, I don't necessarily disagree with Mahndisa because this is the only leftwing blog I check on a regular basis, but in my readings the conservative blogs are far more insulting and caustic. My guess for the reason why is the need to feel oppressed. I think it's that simple. Look at that short film they made where the Democratic party is the Empire and they are the rebel force. If anyone is the EMPIRE, it's certainly the Republican party. I don't mean to say that they are evil, just that they are overwhelmingly in charge. You'd just never guess it by listening to them.
  7. James Manning Says:
    Robert,

    Please don't waste your time on "A History of Violence". It makes no sense and is overrated.

    You are correct in your assessment of Conservatives. You'd swear there is a secret police roaming the streets arresting worshiping Christians. It is much easier to be the oppressed than it is to be leaders. They can't lead (Bush is a prime example of this), but they can erect some straw men really well.
  8. Id it is Says:
    The Constant Gardener was probably my pick,though 'Crash' would probably be my second best
    John Stewart did a good job!
  9. Mr. Grey Ghost Says:
    James

    It's no secret that Hollywood liberals and gay activists pushed "Brokeback" down people's throats and the collective anger resonating from the Left that "Brokeback" didnt win Best Picture shows you once again where their true hearts lie.

    As for conservatives being "bitter", coming from a liberal such as yourself I cant take you seriously on that one. But all one fair, objective-minded person needs to do is visit The Daily Kos for an hour to get an idea of who's really more butter.

    Good point about "Fight The Power", didnt even think about that one. That was a great song by a great group for a great movie that definitely should've won an Academy award on all counts.

    Best movie for me last year was easily "Crash" and yes I was very happy it won Best Picture.

    From what I hear Stewart did a so-so job as host, but I think he's going to get more flack from liberals for not dissing Bush, tho I believe he did take a few digs at Cheney. My favorite line was: "Scorsese 0, Three Six Mafia 1".
  10. Anonymous Says:
    We as Black people have absolutely no concept of how we are presenting ourselves to the Entire Planet.

    Three-Six Mafia's nomination was great for "Hip-hop" but garbage for the rest of us. How are we suppose to be a respected people in the world, when the only people we (and entertainment execs) like to pub are clowns like this. I don't think we understand that the world is watching.

    As far as the Conservative thing goes, I'll just comment on the blogs. I don't think I've ever seen a "conservative" blog where it wasn't all about how "The Liberals" are a bunch of idiots.

    By contrast, those on "the left" usually just don't like President Bush. There's far less of this, "My side is smart and you are idiots" mess. At least, that's what I've seen.
  11. Anonymous Says:
    I agree with Anonymous. Most of the "right" blogs do nothing but sling mud at the "idiots" on the "left". It's apparent that it's not just in the blogosphere, either, as proven in their little Star Wars parody.

    As for the awards ceremony, John Stewart did an excellent job in my book. It was all about the ceremony. I didn't see any of the movies nominated, nor had I even heard the song that won. (Yeah I know, I live in a hole!) But I was very impressed with the amount of class that Three Six Mafia showed... I mean, only one word was beeped out of their acceptance speech! Quite impressive!
  12. Cynthia Says:
    1. What was the best movie you saw last year?

    Lord of War, Syriana, Walk The Line, and Crash in that order.

    2. Which movie do you think deserved the Oscar for Best Picture?

    Lord of War

    Best actress: Reese Witherspoon for her portrayal of June Carter in Walk the line.

    4. Why are Conservatives so bitter?

    I don’t know, they should be happy. Everything is going their way. Hey, even the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act was Passed (89-10, 1 Not Voting).
  13. Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden Says:
    03 08 06

    Well since the only liberal blogs that I have visited were the Democratic Underground and Daily KOS, aside from a very ignorant and rude Black woman scientist's blog who has no clue. Anyway, you can't go to those sites without seeing tons of profane language and just rude stuff and I daresay I don't see that type of garbage on con blogs.

    HOWEVER, Miss Lady Ma'am s point is well taken because a lot of con blogs DO insult liberals and leftists. But I don't see the profanity nor the moonbatisms.

    AND lastly, when some troll insulted me and said scathing things, the liberal readers that I have did nothing to defend me-yet the cons did. Hmmmm what is that about?

    hahahahahaha good post James
  14. Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden Says:
    03 08 06

    And what is so funny is that I am both con and lib depending on the issue; an Independent. I don't know about Jaime's joke that cons don't get any; I mean they are the ones having all the kids while libs birth rates are falling.

    It seems to me like the cons get it quite often to be producing so many children.


    I also live in Northern CA. James would be conservative if they had to deal with the psycho Bezerklyites or SF PCers who are quick to label anyone a racist or a homophobe; EVEN if they are Black AND GAY! Read the link to the article I provided to see just how deep this mindset goes in the Bay Area and get disgusted at the arrogance and bitterness this man has for human life.
  15. Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden Says:
    03 08 06

    OK James here is the smoking gun you need to show you that there is a war against Christianity. It is okay to respect other religions but not Christianity? Hmmmm Check out the link and see the comics and let me know what you think.
  16. Anonymous Says:
    hmm, best picture...

    i didn't see capote but i've heard nothing but awesome reviews for it. we just bought it and should be watching it this weekend!

    i really liked syriana, good night and good luck and crash. any of the would have been my pick.

    i saw brokeback mountain and i have to say; it didn't do anything for me. i guess it was hyped so much that i was expecting this really awesome movie. it was ok, but nothing that i thought was best picture worthy. it was a very slow moving kinda boring film with 10,000 sheep...