Friday's Top Ten: Superheroes

1. Spider Man – If you are familiar with my blog then you know my favorite childhood cartoon was Spider Man. It is actually the Peter Parker side of Spider Man that endear people to Spider Man. The regular guy with regular problems – but when he becomes Spider Man, he becomes a witty superhero with the ability to crawl up walls and spin his own web.


2. Wolverine – I think it is the claws protruding through his knuckles and his “I’m pissed at the world” attitude that made Wolverine the most popular X-Men. He is the meanest of all Superheroes and I love his “kick ass first and ask questions later” mentality.


3. Batman – He is the only Superhero that does not possess special powers. He is a man of gadgets but it is the dark nature of his character that draws folks to him. And lets face it, people have a fascination with bats and his costume is tight. I’m not sure where girly-man Robbin came from, but the original Batman was dark… and that the one I enjoyed.

4. Super Man – Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to leap tall building in a single. It’s a bird. It’s a plan. No, it’s Superman. That signature alone puts him in the top five. Super Man is just the man. He could move the moon. What other Superhero could do that? I always wonder what would happen is he got with Lois Lane.

5. The Hulk – There are times when I wish there were a Hulk inside of me. I like to call the Hulk the ‘accidental hero’. He gets pissed, turns bulky and green and destroys that which is pissing him off and along the way he’ll save a few folk.

6. Thor – The Thunder God sent to smite evil with an oversized mallet. He rarely knocked anyone upside the head with his hammer but he put many would-be villains on their backs. I think it is the mythology behind Thor that made him appealing.

7. Beast – This is a personal favorite. He is a combination of Hulk and Dr. Einstein. I like how is approach to problems were to figure them out and if that didn’t work, he’d just rip folks to shreds. A man after my own heart.

8. Thing – Out of the four from Fantastic Four, Thing, who I refer to as Brick Man, was my favorite. He was like a mason version of the Hulk. I always though he could take the Hulk. As a matter of fact, one of the greatest comic book storyline is when the Fantastic Four battle the Avengers. The Thing and Hulk fought to a standstill, but I think Thing got him.

9. Iron Man – As part of the Avengers, Iron Man was probably the most flawed character in comic book history. But the iron suit was the bomb – literally. Rocket boots, missiles on his back and rocket propelled gloves for knocking villains out from afar. You can’t beat that.

10. Captain America – Cheesy costume and name, but he made up for it with that shield and the bike. I had a lot of Captain America toys. I never did get into the cartoon because he sound gay but I loved the comic books.

 

10 Responses to Friday's Top Ten: Superheroes

  1. Anonymous Says:
    Iron man was always my boy. I didn't really get into Spiderman until Todd McFarlane took over and introduced Venom / Alien Symbiote.

    Similarly, I didn't care too much about X-Men until Jim Lee came along.
  2. nosthegametoo Says:
    Batman, Spider-man & Super Man… you can’t top a classic character. But I’ll be honest, Captain America always seemed little weak to me.

    I have to disagree on the Beast thing though. Otherwise, a great list.
  3. James Manning Says:
    Captain America was the weakest of them all. I really like the Beast because of the way he talks. That just trips me out.
  4. avery Says:
    spider-man was always the favorite. i understood why wolverine was popular, but i never did buy into the mystique. too much stuff we didn't know. but he was easily the best of the x-men. i liked namor a lot, though.
  5. Unknown Says:
    I'm right there with you on Spider-man and Wolverine (especially when his costume changed from yellow to more of a tan) but I also loved The Punisher. I was never too keen on DC superheroes. They always seemed a bit lame.

    I also liked Daredevil and Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu (with his British accent that didn't really come across when reading it).

    Will you be doing super villians any time soon?
  6. James Manning Says:
    robert, i was thinking of super villians today as a matter of fact. i'll have to do some serious thinking because i don't remember a lot of them.
  7. Kimberly Kaye Terry Says:
    My brother and I were comic book lovers to the end. We collected X-men, Teen Titans, Fantastic Four, Avengers and Defenders. For those who know the significance...We have X-Men issue number 94...*big cheesy don't hate me grin*
  8. Kip Says:
    I liked the thunder cats, thunder, thunder, thundr cats oooooooooooooooooooH!
  9. timmer Says:
    Spider-man number 1...excellent, excellent call. I would have put Optimus Prime somewhere on the list, though. Whether he is a superhero or not is obviously arguable, but I would have done it anyway.

    And what about Bible-man?! hahahaha
  10. Rell Says:
    oh man -- I've been away for a while but I gotta go with Batman.

    Normal people are able to identify with Batman because was a regular person and a "super hero."

    He has demons, like we all do and most of what he does is struggling to fight with those demons.

    Batman is a "real" "super-hero" and that makes him the best. I mean I can relate to him more then I can "the son of jarell" or some who has adamantium put in their exoskeleton by the military.

    But yea good stuff man -- oh yea check the blog if you need help with your office pool.