You Know You're From Chicago If...

CLASSIC REPOST: Hey, I'm taking the day off from blogging. Actually, I've taken the entire weekend off. So, I'm pulling one from the archives. For you Chicago fans, ya'll know 'bout this. Have fun and enjoy.



Ø You - correctly - don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois.
Ø You become irate at people who do.
Ø You measure distance in minutes.
Ø You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines".
Ø Your school classes were canceled because of excessive cold.

Ø Your school classes were canceled because of excessive heat.
Ø You've even had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
Ø Stores don't have sacks, they have bags.
Ø You see a car running in the parking lot at the store with no one in it no matter what time of the year.
Ø You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example: "Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall I wanna go with."

Ø You can locate Illinois on the United States map.
Ø Your idea of a really great tenderloin is when the meat is at least twice as big as the bun and accompanied only by ketchup and a dill pickle slice.
Ø You install security lights on your house and garage and then leave both unlocked.
Ø When asked how your trip was to any foreign, exotic place, you say, "It was different."
Ø You carry jumper cables in your car.
Ø You know what the numbers I-80, 55, and 90 mean.
Ø You realize that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads.
Ø You refer to any interstate highway as "the Tollway" or else "the expressway."
Ø You know the given names of the interstates, i.e.: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Dan Ryan.

Ø You refer to anything south of I-80 as "Southern Illinois".
Ø You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake".
Ø You refer to Chicago as "The City".
Ø No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they are talking about Downtown Chicago.
Ø You find yourself referring to the central business district of any city you happen to be in as "The Loop."
Ø You have two favorite football teams: The Bears and anyone who beats the Green Bay Packers.

Ø A brawl over which Chicago baseball team is better breaks out every year at your neighborhood block party
Ø Even though you live 3 hours south, you still buy "The Trib."
Ø You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog.
Ø You know what Chicago Style Pizza is -- and feel pity for those that don't, and with good reason!

Ø You know why they call Chicago "the Windy City".
Ø You understand what "lake-effect" means.
Ø You know the difference between Amtrack and Metra, and know which station they end up at.
Ø You have ridden an "L" (elevated train).

 

17 Responses to You Know You're From Chicago If...

  1. MEP Says:
    I love Chicago. I haven't even lived there, but I love it. Just a great place to be.
  2. Cynthia Says:
    I love this post. I've been living in Chicago most of my life and this post is right on the money.
  3. in2jazz Says:
    This is definitely on the money. I am surprised that there is no mentioned of White Castle or "sliders."
  4. All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo Says:
    whats the temp up there. I love the food and what i rember most of all is being snowed on Ohare back in the day and having to sat at the airport hilton, and I do love the house of blues hotel and the La meriddian
  5. Dionne Says:
    This is a great post. I lived in downtown Chicago for 4 yrs. while going to college so I'm familiar with a lot of this :-).

    And I can attest to Chicago being a windy city. At Moody Bible Institute the girls had to wear dresses to class. Many, many times while walking to class you literally had to hold your skirt down so it wouldn't completely fly up. Once I wasn't successful and there was a guy standing right in front of me as my entire skirt flew up. Sigh...... He had a grin on his face and I tried not to be embarrassed :-).

    Great post!!
  6. Dionne Says:
    Oh, and Chicago deep dish pizza spoiled me for the rest of my life. To this day I don't like any other pizza. They finally got a place here in KC that is very similar called "The Dish" and it is the only pizza I like.
  7. Zeezy4Sheezy Says:
    Even though I'm from the south I must admit that Chicago Style deep dish pizza is the shit!!
  8. James Manning Says:
    yeah, that pizza will get you. I found a place in LA that has some pretty good pizza but they are hard to come by.
  9. nosthegametoo Says:
    Chicago is a great city. I love it.
  10. Anonymous Says:
    Hmm, that was boring...again.
  11. Anonymous Says:
    I'm supposed to be going to Chi this weekend. I can't wait to order my hot dog with mustard and ketchup. ;-)
  12. James Manning Says:
    Rashid, I think you already know that only mustard goes on a hotdog.
  13. Anonymous Says:
    This post confirmed one of my fears........I'm not from Chicago.
  14. m/p Says:
    aaawww, james manning, you made me miss chicago more than anything. i will never love la the way i loved chicago. thanks for the memmories.
  15. Anonymous Says:
    Yeah that was a joke. I know how you do it in Chi.

    I only eat hot dogs at Turner Field anyway.
  16. Anonymous Says:
    Someone missed these...

    You're driving on the expressway, the posted speed limit is 55mph, you're doing 80mph, and get passed.

    Sometimes there can be 5 seasons in a day. What? Road construction, IS a season!

    There's no stormwatch when it drizzles! (Califronia)

    There are two professional baseball teams in Chicago. The Cubs and whoever beat the White Sox!

    Any true Chicago hockey-fan knows "the barn".
  17. Anonymous Says:
    Add to that for the burbs- You think it is completely understandable to wait 45 minutes to eat OUTSIDE at Hackney's.