Quick Take on Black History Month

Maybe you haven’t noticed, but I have yet to do a post on Black History. I haven’t posted any profiles and events and Black History and I’ve done nothing to promote the fact that it is Black History Month. There is a reason for that and the reason is simple. I don’t feel the need to attempt at packing the rich history of black people into a 28 day time span.

Though I truly understand the necessity of Black History Month in school curriculum, I’m upset at the fact that it is necessary. America did a fantastic job of relegated the contributions of black people to the far reaches of historical teachings. This country was built off of the depravity of human suffering and white supremacy. America is where it is today because black people had the courage to stand up to injustice and reveal the hypocrisy in her treatment of black people.

American History is black history. So why doesn’t that show in the history books? Why is Black History Month simply a time to rattle of dates, names and discuss slavery and the Civil Rights Movement? Black History is more than that. The problem is that there still exists an undercurrent of white supremacy. It manifests itself in the lies and misinformation that plague our history books.

I’m not up for playing that game. I’m a black man 365 days a year and I know that black people suffered, lost, died, sacrificed, marched and prayed for this country in every era of American history. Because of that, I’m not willing to take 28 days and be happy. No sir. I know schools have to do what is mandated of them… but that doesn’t mean that the rest of us should play into the propaganda.

For those of you that recognize Black History Month, more power to you. But for me, I’ll just wait for the day when they include us in the remaining 337 days. Until then, I'll do it myself.

 

8 Responses to Quick Take on Black History Month

  1. Rell Says:
    "rome wasn't built in a day"
  2. Anonymous Says:
    I think Black History Month has seriously diluted the importance of Black history, and our understanding of our place in history.

    I'll offer this one example: "The Civil Rights Movement."

    With all due respect to our dearly beloved Ms. Rosa Parks... if she is the Mother of the Civil Rights Movement, who is Ida B. Wells... Frederick Douglas... and so on??

    We are losing our history because it is poltically fashionable to pat Dr. King on the back every February. We barely teach our children what our lives in America were like before 1950.

    This is dangerous, because it leaves us weak. And there are those who can and will take advantage of that. Look at Mrs. King's funeral. Comments by two speakers were made more important than the woman herself. And worse, it was whipped up by people who agreed with NOTHING she stood for. How Horrible!!

    So to quote that lady called insanelysane: "JAMES, you preach it my BROTHER!!!"
  3. Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden Says:
    02 15 06

    Good post James. Adrianne: I see you stopped blogging but still comment. Best Wishes with your educational goals etc:)

    James, I think that the Black History month designation was needed for a while, and now we need to integrate into the rest of our history. I totally agree with you that we are Black all of the year and our knowledge and quest for understanding ain't limited to just twenty eight days out of the year! It is now time for mainstream America to integrate the contributions of Blacks into the history books and I don't just mean talk of slavery.

    I think that the characterization of Blacks as victims starts in schools teaching that we started off here as slaves and got screwed. The story is so much more complex than that and they fail to see our contributions to building the very infrastructure of the USA. Once this knowledge is dispersed, we will be better off!
  4. Anonymous Says:
    Well said, my friend.

    You're right, there is still an undercurrent of white supremacy in this country. For example, the fact that the Academy Awards is still dominated by white candidates, and is normally held during black history month is, in my eyes, just another proverbial slap in the face. Quite discouraging.
  5. James Manning Says:
    Miss Lady, I never connected those dots but I have wondered why when it comes to swirl ice cream why is it that the chocolate is always surrounded by the vanilla. Is there a conspiracy there? Maybe... maybe not. But it makes you think, huh?
  6. Anonymous Says:
    Good point, but we all know that when it comes to swirl ice crea,m without the chocolate it would be just PLAIN vanilla! ;)
  7. Mr. Grey Ghost Says:
    James

    Nice post. I remember when I was a liberal and how agitated I would get about "The Man" (do y'all still use that term?) giving us the shortest month to celebrate our history, of course now I could care less about BHM, but those were the days.

    BTW, there is definitely some kind of racism involved with the Oscars, but blame it on white liberals as they're the ones who control all those award shows. I gotta admit too that I'm still mad that Halle Berry had to totally disgrace herself in a bad and unbelievable film to win her Oscar.
  8. James Manning Says:
    Grey,

    I'm not saying I dont' care about it. I'm just saying that it is same shame for the necessity of the month. But until American history reflect a more balanced approach on how it deals with the contributions of black people and put our history into some historical context, then Black History Month it is. I just argue that it shouldn't stop here and we shouldn't be satisfied with it.