These Songs Make My Stomach Hurt

Feel free to add to the list of songs. I’m sure there are some that I haven’t thought of yet. If I were to think about the music from the early 90’s, I’m sure even more will come to mind.

When I’m With You – Tony Terry
This was a nice song, but they played it too much. I actually picked up the album and it sucked. If I’m not mistaken, he had a song on their about the Flintstones. I’ll have to listen to it again but I know there was a cartoon song on the album. Anyway, I couldn’t get with him after that.

Popcorn Love – New Edition
I still like Candy Girl but this song is too cheesy for words. I give them a pass because they were kids and what else do kids have to sing about. I’m sure they don’t even know the words to it anymore. But even though I can’t stand this song, New Edition is still one of my favorite groups from my youth.

Oh Shelia – Ready for the World
Can you believe I was going to do this song in my high school talent show? Lord, I’m glad we decided not do it. They would have booed us off of the stage. There is nothing about this group that I like. The curls were too much for me. But I did jam this song until one day it dawned on me that it was a piece of crap. Do anyone remember the video? It was a technological mess.

Shower Me With Your Love – Surface
These whiney punks got under my skin. I was dating some girl, can’t recall her name, that played this song all of the time. I remember driving in my cousin’s hatchback Citation on the 294 Expressway on our way to a party in Midlothian. She played this song the entire way. Now, we’re trying to get hype for the party so we want to put in a mixtape with Farley Jack Master Funk, and she’s crying about playing this wimpy song.

I’m So Deep – Ready for the World
So, they make the list twice. That’s not a good sign. My sister and her best friend at the time played this song over and over and over and over. She made a tape with this song and a couple of songs with Michael Jackson on it. This was at the time when Michael Jackson was still black and Ralph Trasvent was the heartthrob of New Edition. Well, I stole the tape and broke it into pieces. Boy, my sister was pissed. She knew I did it and I would have gotten away with if my brother hadn’t dropped the dime on me. That kid could never keep quiet. Offer him candy and he’d give away nuclear secrets. I got punished but I didn’t hear this song for two days.

Always and Forever – Heatwave
The radio did this song in for me. Every night, ever radio station, every party, every high school dance, every basement party, every block party, every wedding, every couples skate and the roller rink… this song was played. Lawd, if I never hear this song again… They should break the master and retire this song from the airwaves. Too bad because it is not a bad song, but it is so annoying to me now.

 

3 Responses to These Songs Make My Stomach Hurt

  1. Anonymous Says:
    Oh Sheila? Crap? Given, the hair was a mess. Enough Jehri Curl juice to deep fry chicken.(lol)

    But,J, my man, I had gotten a job at a nightspot as a DJ and was just starting to get proficient at "beat mixing". Man, let me tell ya. That opening with the electronic drum thang would fill up the floor so quick. And the honies used to dance back then.

    OK, the hair AND the song sucked but DJs needed that "automatic" so that we could sling our "oil slick", too. Take care.
  2. Black Wombmyn Chat Says:
    LMAO. Why does everybody look so gay--and we didn't KNOW it? I mean come on, Tony Terry looks like he only JUST finished sucking the chrome off a pipe!

    But having said that, I have to add:

    "Let's Hear It For The Boy"--Deniece Williams.
    I'm glad she got some burn in the eighties--not nearly enough for her massive talent--but that song was just retarded. Who was she talking about and why was their some little white boy dancing in the video? I know she has to be embarrassed now.

    That song by Jermaine Jackson and that Pia Zadora chick--"When The Rain Begins To Fall"
    Even her billionaire husband couldn't buy her a career. And what was up with the Mad Max Beyond The Thunderdome look--but all dressed in white?

    The OTHER Jermaine Jackson song --"All night, you give me what I like..." where he tried to stage an Elvis jailbreak musical. Funny.
  3. Dell Gines Says:
    Smile by Bel Biv Devoe...