Back From Philly

I am back from Philadelphia where I attended my brother’s wedding. It was really nice and it felt good to eat a “real” cheese steak. If you want a good cheese steak, check out a little spot on 60th and Chestnut on Philly’s west side. Another thing to check out is a store called “Cosmos” on 69th street. I’ll have to go to Philly just to pick up some clothes.

The most noticeable difference was the humidity. I haven’t felt that hot since I left Chicago. We sat on the porch, in the shade, and we were sweating like we were sitting in a sweatbox.

As much as I love Philadelphia, I think they could do a better job in keeping up their streets. When I lived there in ’93, driving was like playing Russian roulette with your hubcaps. Nothing has changed in the 12 years since I’ve left. And I’m still not crazy about the narrow streets. My sisters did care for the row houses. I don’t mind those, but there are parts of Philadelphia that look as though no one has cleaned in the area since the buildings were built. Walking down 60th street from Walnut to Market, I noticed that folks piled their trash around the base of trees and the sidewalks were in terrible condition.


Photos of Philadelphia:








And Philly’s airport is not the most aesthetically pleasing places. However, out of the four different airports I had to fly into, I would have to rate Philadelphia International higher than LAX. Salt Lake City International was not that great. Now, Cincinnati’s airport is one of the nicest airports I’ve ever flown into. What I noticed is that there were a lot of clothing stores in airport. I have to wonder how many people fly through Cincinnati and shop for shirts and pants.

Anyway, the brother is now married and I wish him the best. I’ll be back to regular blogging come tomorrow.

 

2 Responses to Back From Philly

  1. Cynthia Says:
    The humidity was high as h@ll this past weekend in Chicago too, just plain miserable here.

    Last year when I went to Phily, I took this historic tour and I thought the row houses were a bit much.
  2. Anonymous Says:
    I'm glad you're back...I missed you.