Thanksgiving Top Ten

Welcome to another special edition of the world famous, Peace On That... Top Ten. In honor of Thanksgiving, I bring you a couple of top tens. But first let me wish you all a very safe and joyous Thanksgiving weekend. I'm sure we all have much to be thankful for. Heck, if you're reading this then that means that you are alive and healthy and probably have some free time on your hand - and that alone is enough to be thankful for. So eat and be merry. Now, on to the top ten.

Every family has a way of communicating with one another in their own special way. Well, the Manning/White/Callahan's are no different. So, this first top top ten are some things you would have heard over the years had you attended any of our Thanksgiving Dinners. Some you would have heard more than others.

Top Ten Things Overheard at a Manning Thanksgiving Dinner

10. Aint no mo red kool-aid.

9. Ya'll make sure ya'll put up a plate for Uncle Kerry.

8. Go get me that bacon grease from off the stove. I need to grease the pan for these biscuits.

7. Hey Sadie, where the pliers for this TV. The Bears' in coming on channel two.

6. I don't want to hear no back lip from you. Take this plate to Madea's house and get yo black ass back here.

5. If you kids don't settle down in there Imma come in there with my switch and wear ya'll little narrow asses out.

4. Boy you touch that again and Imma slap you into the middle of next week.

3. Anybody seen Willie? I sent him to the sto' for some salt pork for these greens and ain't got his behind back her yet. Let him be at that Jenkins girl's house and my greens get messed up. Imma wear his little narrow ass out.

2. Junebug, I tell you every year, keep you damn feet off my table. Next time you put 'em up there you gone lose 'em. You need to get up and do something with yo nappy ass head. (mumbling) For the life of me I can't understand why that boy don't comb his hair. Don't make no damn sense...

And the number one phrase heard over the years at a Manning/White/Callahan Thanksgiving dinner is:

1. Jimmy, sit yo black ass down somewhere.

Now, on to the top ten items required for a successful Thanksgiving Dinner.

10. Dinner Rolls
9. Ham
8. Candy Yams
7. Four people willing to get a game of spades going.
6. Turkey
5. Cornbread dressing (if you are using stove top stuffing, you are committing a grave error.
4. Homemade macaroni and cheese
3. Collard Greens
2. Sweet Potato Pie
1. The TV tuned in to a football game

Have a good folks.

Tags:

 

17 Responses to Thanksgiving Top Ten

  1. Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden Says:
    11 22 05
    Happy Thxgiving to you too James:)
  2. James Manning Says:
    Thanks Mahn, you have a good one too. Are you cooking?
  3. Cynthia Says:
    It seems like every black family have a Junebug. (lol)

    You're right, cornbread dressing is superior to that stuffing (gross). All the food you mentioned are classic. But, since I'm originally from Louisiana, we have to put a little mix into it. This year we are having Gumbo, last year we had shrimp ettoufee...

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Jamie....
  4. James Manning Says:
    Thanks, Cynt,

    Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
  5. Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden Says:
    11 22 05

    James, see the post below the UPDATE one; I tell ya what I'm gonna make:)
  6. Dan-E Says:
    dude, when i read #8, i could almost smell that all the way over here. biscuits and gravy... mmmm.

    and you gotta love a family that serves sweet potato pie instead of pumpkin. i *love* sweet potato pie.

    i'm hungry now.

    happy thanksgiving!
  7. James Manning Says:
    I agree Malik...

    @Dan-E, there is something about reading it that moist the appetite. I'm ready for Thanksgiving Dinner and watch the Cowboys play. We have two good games to watch.
  8. James Manning Says:
    Jaimie,

    My father is from Arkansas and my mother's sisters were from Arkansas and St. Louis - so when they got together, yes, it was rather country. I guess you can say that my generation was the first that wasn't raised "down south".
  9. Cynthia Says:
    Jamie - It's funny, most people say that everybody in Chicago is related to someone in the South. In fact, some people affectionately call Chicago (Up South).

    James - We are the first generation that wasn't raised in the South although all of my siblings were born there.
  10. nikki Says:
    both of those lists are on point, especially the second one. too bad i won't be having anything on that list for this thanksgiving (accept for the game being on television).
  11. NewYorkMoments Says:
    OK, I can agree with everything for Thanksgiving, except the football game!

    And, who uses stovetop stuffing for Thanksgiving??? That's a sacrelidge!
  12. James Manning Says:
    @Nikki,

    What are you having for thanksgiving?

    @NYM,

    I agree. But I'm sure there are people that use the stuff.
  13. nikki Says:
    james - i'm probably gonna have movie popcorn and nacho chips with cheese. lol

    my parents went to tampa this year, so for the first time in the history of my existence, i won't be getting the full trimmings for the day. i might hop around to some the houses of some of my folk, but frankly, the nfl games are too good to be bouncing around. for the first time in a long time, BOTH games are gonna be good.

    i might just end up ordering pizza.
  14. NewYorkMoments Says:
    Hey James...I just noticed that you're from Chicago...I'm from S.E. Wisconsin (dont' want to say which city...)

    So you're a Bear's fan then?
  15. Anonymous Says:
    do they say pop or soda in cali?
  16. DJ Diva Says:
    Lord have mercy...that was funny...and yes errbody has a junebug...

    there won't be any football on the tube but the real game will be watching all my aunts(5) and my mom do the swoop down on my new man this year...That should be fun and I'm not even gonna warn him LOL....But I know honey can handle himself...so it should be hilarious
  17. James Manning Says:
    NYM,

    Yes, I am a Bears fan. No doubt. I watch them every week. Thank God for the Dish.

    @ Kay,

    No, they all it soda, but I still call it pop.

    @nikki,

    Well, enjoy yourself sistah. At least do a drive by and pick up a plate. That's what I do.